FORUM ROCK CITY BOOGIE
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

FORUM ROCK CITY BOOGIE

FORUM Rock'n'roll 50's, Rockabilly, Hillbilly... Clothes, Cars, Flyers, all Forties and Fifties

AccueilPortailRechercherDernières imagesS'enregistrerConnexion
Le Deal du moment : -21%
LEGO® Icons 10329 Les Plantes Miniatures, ...
Voir le deal
39.59 €

HUELYN DUVALL AND THE TROUBLESOME THREE – THE REUNION

2 participants
AuteurMessage
Invité
Invité

HUELYN DUVALL AND THE TROUBLESOME THREE – THE REUNION Empty
MessageSujet: HUELYN DUVALL AND THE TROUBLESOME THREE – THE REUNION   HUELYN DUVALL AND THE TROUBLESOME THREE – THE REUNION EmptyMar 24 Juin 2008, 21:48

HUELYN DUVALL AND THE TROUBLESOME THREE
– THE REUNION

HUELYN DUVALL AND THE TROUBLESOME THREE – THE REUNION H_20du10

How can you imagine a Rock’n’Roll band who parted ways in 1957 being back in studio in December 2002 with all his original members, minus one, and them vintage instruments to record the songs they used to do then. Huelyn Duvall was able to do a such exploit bringing back his original band, The Troublesome Three, at the Sound Circus Studio in Azle (Texas) to turn back the clock. The final result came on a neat packaged CD accurately titled “The Reunion”, issued on Brazos Valley records, with some beautiful pictures of the band wearing “hep cats” clothes and having a ball on stage, all from the 50’s. The songs here are those they may hear then on AM radio or on juke boxes, movies or TV and live shows. Remember then you can’t find all those rare Rockabilly records we enjoy now and even that word was unknown to most of the performers. Most of those tiny labels had just local distribution and you can’t find them 300 miles away. So, what feed first those young cats, were records on “Atlantic”, “Imperial”, “Columbia”, “Decca” or “RCA” who had national distribution. A little bit later, with Elvis and Carl Perkins, the “Sun” sound came trough Louisiana, Arkansas and Texas and, by 1956, reached an international audience.

So it’s not surprising to find on that CD “I Forgot To remember To Forget” (Sun 223), first Elvis song to have really some action in 1955 and “I’m Left, You’re Right, She’s Gone” (Sun 217). Still from Elvis repertoire are “Blue Moon of Kentucky” (Sun 209), “When My Blue Moon Turn To Gold Again” (RCA EPA 992) and “Teddy Bear” (RCA 47-7000). Huelyn probably catch with those songs after Elvis had moved to RCA and find national exposure. Huelyn used to do a lot of his material but don’t tried to imitate him from a movement standpoint or anything like that. “Baby, I’m Ready If You’re Willing” and “Honky Tonk Man” came from Johnny Horton’s repertoire and “The Hands You’re Holding Now”, sung by Johnnie Thompson, was borrowed to Marty Robbins. Both artists were on “Columbia” records and were “hot” then. If Rock and Roll songs were not allowed on some shows, you can always use Johnny Horton or Marty Robbins songs ‘cause those performers, even if they waxed some great Rockabillies, were classified Country. “My Baby Walks All Over Me”, “Folsom Prison Blues” and Kitty Wells’s “Whose Shoulder Will You Cry On” are the kind of country songs those cats could speed a little and helped them to do the transition to rock and roll on live shows. That exactly what they do with that Kitty Wells song one night of 1957 on the Cowtown Hoedown show. The fans went crazy and, from that day, MC Jack Henderson told them to play whatever they wanted to. Next are two songs sung by Johnnie Johnson, a long time fan of the Louvin Brothers. “I Can Feel the Love He Has For Me”, written by Johnnie Thompson, and “Bye Bye Love” from The Everly Brothers repertoire, show how they can be at home with Gospel and rockin’ duet harmonies.

If you need to be comparing those performances with them original sound there’s two live recordings from 1957 who worth the CD price by themselves. Elvis “Got A Lot of Livin’ To Do”, from “Loving You” movie was recorded live from the bed of a trailer in Sulphur Springs, Texas. Second song, still borrowed to Elvis, is “Teddy Bear” and was recorded for WBAP-TV in Fort Worth. Remind that band never had a studio session or a record then and had to wait 47 years to finally do that. Here you find the same songs and the same good times from a gang of guys who never had an argument about music.

The CD close with a 27.18 minutes chat in studio between all of them remembering those early times. That’s a very funny and very entertaining experience.

Lonnie Thompson, lead guitar player talk about his 1952 Gold Top Les Paul and how he started in 1952 playing churches, school or radio station around Huckabay (Tx). He remembers how they used to record 5 songs on Saturday for a radio station, one being played each day next week.

Johnnie Thompson, Lonnie’s twin brother, who bring here his Gibson J-50 acoustic guitar, remember those days when they played just for gas or food everywhere they could. In 1957, Huelyn had a blond Harmony guitar to play rhythm that was crashed by Johnnie’s 1957 Buick Century Sport electric power seat while cruisin’ for girls. That guitar got no case and was behind the front seats when they got some action. Huelyn say he still hear it crunching.

Ralph Clark, talk about his early days with a group lead by David Stone named The Rolling Stones in 1954/1955. Being from Weatherford (Tx), he used to rub shoulders with Sonny James, Mac Curtis or Bob Luman. He played with Bob Luman at The Louisiana Hayride and, with the Rolling Stones, the Big D Jamboree in Dallas and the Cowtown Hoedown (KCUL), a 10.000 watts powerful station located in Fort Worth. Ralph still had his 1953 Kay-5 Strings Blond Bass. …

Unfortunately, them drummer James Mathison, from Weatherford, died in 2002. He was the last to come but the first to miss. That gang don’t forget to pay tribute to that old pal who leaves the band after graduating and going to the Army.

Joining Huelyn Duvall early 1957, they played together until September 1957 when Huelyn began to record for “Challenge” records. Being regular on the Cowtown Hoedown at the Majestic Theater, in Fort Worth, they worked with Frankie Miller, Charline Arthur, Leon Payne, Howard Crockett, Gene Summers or Johnny Horton to name a few. In the summer 1957, Lonnie Thompson introduced Huelyn to Danny Wolfe, a gifted musician, singer and songwriter from Stephenville. Some demos were recorded at Clifford Herring’s studio, in Forth Worth, trough Danny Wolfe and were sent around and a deal was set with “Challenge” records, a new company that had just gotten started by Gene Autry. That’s Danny Wolfe who broke the news to the Troublesome Three they not going to record on Nashville, the label wanting using top session musicians. The same happened to Buddy Holly, early 1956, while recording for “Decca” and should have happen to Gene Vincent for his first “Capitol” session in May 1956. I can’t imagine “Be Bop A Lula” or “Woman Love” without the guitar work of Cliff Gallup or Dickie Harrell’s screams. Did you have ever heard a Nashville studio B musician scream on any recording? Nevertheless, they were top cats and can adjust with any young rockin’ lads without studio experience. Huelyn was very disappointed that his band was not going to be used on the session but he doesn’t have any control over that. Nevertheless, the session with Grady Martin and The Jordanaires went great and produced two great singles “Comin’ Or Goin’” b/w “Teen Queen” (Challenge 1012) and “Pucker Paint” b/w “Boom Bomm Baby” (Challenge 59069).

So it ended an association who lasted less than a year and that’s great to have those old pals back together like in the “pink & black days”. That very entertaining CD’s will bring you back on the 50’s just like it was. They were there when it happened and set the picture right … That CD, and many others by Huelyn who could “Knock You Out”, can be ordered from www.huelynduvall.com for $ 15.00 a piece including port & package.

Dominique “Imperial” ANGLARES
www.bartemon.net
Revenir en haut Aller en bas
Invité
Invité

MessageSujet: Re: HUELYN DUVALL AND THE TROUBLESOME THREE – THE REUNION   HUELYN DUVALL AND THE TROUBLESOME THREE – THE REUNION EmptyMar 24 Juin 2008, 21:52

HUELYN DUVALL AND THE TROUBLESOME THREE – THE REUNION Duvall_huelyn
HUELYN DUVALL AND THE TROUBLESOME THREE – THE REUNION Duvall_h

Chanteur Rockabilly US né en 1939 à Huckaby (Texas).
Huelyn Duvall accompagné des Tight Strings, à enregistré à la fin des années cinquante pour Challenge (57-60), Starfire (59) et Twinkle Records (60?).

http://www.huelynduvall.com
http://www.rockabillyhall.com/HuelynDuvall.html

Talents : Singer, Guitar
Style musical : Rockabilly, Rock 'n' Roll

BOOM BOOM BABY HUELYN DUVALL AND THE TROUBLESOME THREE – THE REUNION Speaker
COMIN' OR GOIN' HUELYN DUVALL AND THE TROUBLESOME THREE – THE REUNION Speaker
DADDY'S LITTLE BABY HUELYN DUVALL AND THE TROUBLESOME THREE – THE REUNION Speaker
HUELYN DUVALL AND THE TROUBLESOME THREE – THE REUNION Radio
Années en activité :

DISCOGRAPHIE
Singles

12/1957SP CHALLENGE CH-1012 (US)Comin' Or Goin' HUELYN DUVALL AND THE TROUBLESOME THREE – THE REUNION Speaker / Teen Queen HUELYN DUVALL AND THE TROUBLESOME THREE – THE REUNION Speaker
04/1958SP CHALLENGE 59002 (US)Hum-Dinger / You Knock Me Out
06/1958SP CHALLENGE 59014 (US)Three Months To Kill HUELYN DUVALL AND THE TROUBLESOME THREE – THE REUNION Speaker / Little Boy Blue
10/1958SP CHALLENGE 59025 (US)Juliet HUELYN DUVALL AND THE TROUBLESOME THREE – THE REUNION Speaker / Friday Night On A Dollar Bill HUELYN DUVALL AND THE TROUBLESOME THREE – THE REUNION Speaker
05/1959SP STARFIRE 600 (US)HUELYN DUVAL - It's No Wonder HUELYN DUVALL AND THE TROUBLESOME THREE – THE REUNION Speaker / Across The Aisle
1959SP TWINKLE 506 (US)Beautiful Dreamer / Tear Stained Letters
03/1960SP CHALLENGE 59069 (US)Pucker Paint HUELYN DUVALL AND THE TROUBLESOME THREE – THE REUNION Speaker / Boom Boom Baby HUELYN DUVALL AND THE TROUBLESOME THREE – THE REUNION Speaker
Albums

1983LP 12" WHITE LABEL WLP 8864 (NL)HUELYN DUVALL AND THE TROUBLESOME THREE – THE REUNION Wanted.jpegHUELYN DUVALL & THE TIGHT STRINGS - Life Begins At 4 O'Clock / Just Me And You, Baby / Blue Eyed Baby / So Help Me Gal / Beautiful Dreamer / Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On (prev. unissued) / Lonely / Double Talkin' Baby (take 1) / Comin' Or Goin' / Hum-Dinger / Susie's House / Does She Love Me / Double Talkin' Baby
1984LP 12" WHITE LABEL WLP 8880 (NL)HUELYN DUVALL AND THE TROUBLESOME THREE – THE REUNION Wanted.jpegMORE HUELYN DUVALL - Three Months To Kill / Juliet/My Girl / Blue Lotta Blue / Why Tell Me Baby / So Help Me Gal / Rocking And Rehearsing / Remember Last Night / Got A Little Girl (take 2) / It's No Wonder (alt. version 1) / When The Party's Over / Little Boy Blue
1987LP 12" WHITE LABEL WLP 8923 (NL)HUELYN DUVALL AND THE TROUBLESOME THREE – THE REUNION Wanted.jpegYESTERDAY AND TODAY - It's No Wonder / Got A Little Girl (take 2) / Blue Lotta Blue / Susie's House / Party Doll / Lawdy Miss Claudie / Pucker Paint / Lotta Lovin' / Hey Brutus / Friday Night On A Dollar Bill / Brown Eyes / Teen Queen / Can't Go Away / Hum-Dinger / These Children / Be-Bop-A-Lula
1987LP 12" BEAR FAMILY BFX 15200 (D)HUELYN DUVALL AND THE TROUBLESOME THREE – THE REUNION Wanted.jpegTHE CHALLENGE MASTERS - Comin' Or Goin' / Boom Boom Baby / Pucker Paint / Juliet / Friday Night On A Dollar Bill / You Knock Me Out / Teen Queen (alt. version) / Teen Queen / Three Months To Kill / Hum-Dinger / Fools Hall Of Fame (version 1) / Fools Hall Of Fame (version 2) / Little Boy Blue / Fool's Hall Of Fame (Danny WOLFE)
1993CD COLLECTOR CLCD 4415 (NL)HUELYN DUVALL AND THE TROUBLESOME THREE – THE REUNION Collector_4415THREE MONTHS TO KILL - Three Months To Kill (alt. version) / It's No Wonder (alt. version 1) / Hum-Dinger / Modern Romance (prev. unissued) / Life Begins At Four O'Clock (alt. version) / So Help Me Gal / Let's Make A Block (prev. unissued) / Lonely / Rockin' Fun (prev. unissued instrumental) / Double Talk'n Baby (alt. version) / Comin' Or Goin' / Juliet (alt. version) / Whole Lotta Shakin' Goin' On / Teen Queen / Blue Eyed Sally (prev. unissued) / Just Me And You Baby / Pickin' Over You (prev. unissued) / It's No Wonder (alt. version 2) / Susie's House / My Girl / Blue Lotta Blue / Got A Little Girl (prev. unissued take 2) / Friday Night On A Dollar Bill / Rockin' And Warmin' Up (instrumental) / When The Party's Over
1996LP 12" SUNDAZED LP 5019 (US)HUELYN DUVALL AND THE TROUBLESOME THREE – THE REUNION Wanted.jpegIS YOU OR IS YOU AIN'T MY BABY - Pucker Paint / Teen Queen / Juliet / Little Boy Blue / Comin' Or Goin' / Boom Boom Baby / Fools Hall Of Fame / Friday Night On A Dollar Bill / Three Months To Kill / Hum-m-m-Dinger / You Knock Me Out / Fools Hall Of Fame (alt. version) / Teen Queen (alt. version)
04/1996CD SUNDAZED SC 6083 (US)HUELYN DUVALL AND THE TROUBLESOME THREE – THE REUNION Sundazed_6083IS YOU OR IS YOU AIN'T MY BABY - Pucker Paint / Teen Queen / Juliet / Little Boy Blue / Comin' Or Goin' / Boom Boom Baby / Fools Hall Of Fame / Friday Night On A Dollar Bill / Three Months To Kill / Hum-M-M-Dinger / You Knock Me Out / Fools Hall Of Fame (alt. version) / Teen Queen (alt. version)
04/2003CD BRAZOS VALLEY BV 3020 (US)HUELYN DUVALL AND THE TROUBLESOME THREE – THE REUNION Bv_3020SHE'S MY BABY - She's My Baby / Face To Face / Magic Spell / My Love / It Wasn't Me / Surrounded / I Love Her So / Let's Make A Block / Does She Love Me / Hey Brutus (new recordings)
04/2003CD BRAZOS VALLEY BV 3030 (US)HUELYN DUVALL AND THE TROUBLESOME THREE – THE REUNION Bv_3030THE BEST OF HUELYN DUVALL FROM THE ORIGINAL MASTER TAPES, 1957-1958 - Three Months To Kill / Little Boy Blue / Teen Queen / Comin' Or Goin' / Boom Boom Baby / Pucker Paint / Juliet / Friday Night On A Dollar Bill / Hum-m-m-m-Dinger / You Knock Me Out / Fool's Hall Of Fame (version 1) / It's No Wonder / Susie's House (prev. unissued)
11/2003CD RHYTHM BOMB RBR 5603 (D)HUELYN DUVALL AND THE TROUBLESOME THREE – THE REUNION Rb_5603RAMBLIN' & BOPPIN' - Daddy's Little Baby / I Got Rock n' Roll / A Teen's Way / It All Depends / Blue Eyed Sally / By And By / So Help Me Gal / My Destiny / Tell Me Why / Play It By The Rule / They Aint Close To You / Pitter Patter / I've Been Thinking / Matador / A Fool Such As I / My Girl (Wears Long Hair) / When The Party Is Over / There You Go / My Bucket's Got A Hole In It (new recordings)
Invité
Invité

MessageSujet: Re: HUELYN DUVALL AND THE TROUBLESOME THREE – THE REUNION   HUELYN DUVALL AND THE TROUBLESOME THREE – THE REUNION EmptyMer 25 Juin 2008, 12:59

3 MONTHS TO KILL
eddie/cesc
Méga Rockin
Méga Rockin

Masculin
Date de naissance : 02/01/1964

MessageSujet: Re: HUELYN DUVALL AND THE TROUBLESOME THREE – THE REUNION   HUELYN DUVALL AND THE TROUBLESOME THREE – THE REUNION EmptyMer 25 Juin 2008, 13:42

La première fois que j´ai vu Huelyn Duvall c´était lors d´un Rockhouse Festival (Holande),a la mème affiche:Eddie Bond,Janis Martin,Jump Dickie Jump,Dave Travis Band et les Keytones.
Eddie/Cesc
Elviresheeley
Administrateur
Administrateur
Elviresheeley

Féminin
Date de naissance : 29/03/1968
emploi : Rockabilly Wife to Supprime-man
Loisirs : Eddie, Gene and my Husband!

MessageSujet: Re: HUELYN DUVALL AND THE TROUBLESOME THREE – THE REUNION   HUELYN DUVALL AND THE TROUBLESOME THREE – THE REUNION EmptyLun 30 Juin 2008, 16:40

THANKS Pearly!!!

Huelyn Duvall will be playing in Michigan in July (hopefully we will go):

Jul 18 200810:00P
HUELYN DUVALL with HORSE CAVE TRIO @ OUTRIGGERSWhitmore Lake, Michigan

Jul 19 20081:00P
MARSHALL BLUES FESTIVAL: HUELYN DUVALL and HORSE CAVE TRIOMarshall, Michigan

Jul 19 20089:00P
HUELYN DUVALL & HORSE CAVE TRIO @ THE BERKLEY FRONTBerkley, Michigan

Jul 20 200812:00P
WOUNDED AMERICAN IV: HUELYN DUVALL and HORSE CAVE TRIOBrooklyn, Michigan

HUELYN DUVALL AND THE TROUBLESOME THREE – THE REUNION Elvire10

www.myspace.com/elviresheeley
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
Contenu sponsorisé

MessageSujet: Re: HUELYN DUVALL AND THE TROUBLESOME THREE – THE REUNION   HUELYN DUVALL AND THE TROUBLESOME THREE – THE REUNION Empty

HUELYN DUVALL AND THE TROUBLESOME THREE – THE REUNION
Page 1 sur 1