FORUM ROCK CITY BOOGIE
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

FORUM ROCK CITY BOOGIE

FORUM Rock'n'roll 50's, Rockabilly, Hillbilly... Clothes, Cars, Flyers, all Forties and Fifties

AccueilPortailRechercherDernières imagesS'enregistrerConnexion
-28%
Le deal à ne pas rater :
Précommande : Smartphone Google Pixel 8a 5G Double Sim 128Go ...
389 € 539 €
Voir le deal

Poplar Tunes Closed

AuteurMessage
Invité
Invité

Poplar Tunes Closed Empty
MessageSujet: Poplar Tunes Closed   Poplar Tunes Closed EmptyMar 15 Sep 2009, 15:29

Poplar Tunes Closed Polar-tunes

It's the end of another era. The record shop that's boosted the careers of legends like Elvis Presley and B.B. King is closed for good. Poplar Tunes shut its doors Thursday, posting a sign on the door thanking customers for decades of business.
The King of Rock and Roll released his first record at the downtown store.

Longtime Memphis music legend George Klein knew Presley personally. He remembers hanging out at Pop Tunes with him back in the day.

"More often than not, Elvis Presley would walk in, because there was nothing happening in Memphis after 10 in those days," said Klein.

Memphis' original record shop is now sealed up. Doors locked. Customers walked away Friday, disappointed.

"I did not know they were closed," said customer Jimmy Johnson. He would occassionally shop for music here after work.

"A lot of people like myself would want the original copy instead of something off the internet," said customer Eddie Blevins.

The sign posted on the door says the store just couldn't compete with big-box retailers and the internet. Add to that the high cost of operation and it was reduced to quote "road kill with a slight pulse."

"Nationwide I think it was regarded as one of the last great record stores," said longtime Memphis DJ Steve Conley.

Callers on his morning show shared memories today.

"I had a story on the air today, the caller said 'When I was 6 years old, my dad took me to Pop Tunes and I bought a needle for my Mickey Mouse record player," he said.

He says the internet has dramatically changed the landscape of the music business.

"The days of the old record stores as we know it, I guess are gone," he said.

Mom and Pop shop record stores, even with a history as rich as this one are finding it impossible to keep up.

Source: Various / Updated: Sep 11, 2009
http://www.elvisnews.com/news.aspx/poplar-tunes-closed/12010
Revenir en haut Aller en bas
Invité
Invité

MessageSujet: Re: Poplar Tunes Closed   Poplar Tunes Closed EmptyMar 15 Sep 2009, 15:35

We went to Poplar Tunes where ELVIS used to buy his records in the 50`s.

Poplar Tunes Closed Ewd

Poplar Tunes Closed Ewe

Poplar Tunes Closed Ptunes
barnburner
Méga Rockin
Méga Rockin

Masculin
Date de naissance : 26/03/1965
emploi : Artiste Proctologue Abstrait

MessageSujet: Re: Poplar Tunes Closed   Poplar Tunes Closed EmptyMar 15 Sep 2009, 23:09

He says the internet has dramatically changed the landscape of the music business.

c'est rien de le dire...
Contenu sponsorisé

MessageSujet: Re: Poplar Tunes Closed   Poplar Tunes Closed Empty

Poplar Tunes Closed
Page 1 sur 1