FORUM ROCK CITY BOOGIE
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

FORUM ROCK CITY BOOGIE

FORUM Rock'n'roll 50's, Rockabilly, Hillbilly... Clothes, Cars, Flyers, all Forties and Fifties

AccueilPortailRechercherDernières imagesS'enregistrerConnexion
Le deal à ne pas rater :
Cdiscount : -30€ dès 300€ d’achat sur une sélection Apple
Voir le deal

R.I.P. : Earl Carroll passed away

2 participants
AuteurMessage
BIRDY
ADMINISTRATRICE
ADMINISTRATRICE
BIRDY

Féminin
Date de naissance : 05/12/1964
emploi : Forumeuse

R.I.P. : Earl Carroll passed away Empty
MessageSujet: R.I.P. : Earl Carroll passed away   R.I.P. : Earl Carroll passed away EmptyLun 03 Déc 2012, 11:02

Earl Carroll passed away

R.I.P. : Earl Carroll passed away Earl-carroll-456

Earl "Speedoo" Carroll, né le 2 novembre 1937 à New York et mort le 25 novembre 2012, dans la même ville, est un chanteur
américain du groupe doo-wop The Cadillacs. Le plus gros succès du groupe est "Speedoo" en 1955, ce qui devient à la suite le
surnom de Carroll.

Carroll se joint à The Coasters en 1961, laissant le groupe dans les années 1990 pour réformer The Cadillacs.

En 1982, il devient un concierge dans une école primaire, mais donne des performances pendant le week-end, par exemple à
l'"Apollo Theater" lors de sa cinquantième année. Carroll a inspiré un livre pour enfants, intitulé That's Our Custodian ("C'est
notre concierge") par Ann Morris.

Richard Williams
guardian.co.uk, Friday 30 November 2012 15.57 GMT

R.I.P. : Earl Carroll passed away The-Cadillacs-008

For the last three decades of their existence as a doo-wop vocal quartet, the Cadillacs performed their 1950s hits only at the
weekends. That was to accommodate the priorities of their lead singer, Earl "Speedo" Carroll, who has died aged 75. Carroll
spent the weekdays working as a janitor at a New York elementary school, where he would regale the pupils with tales of his
life as the voice of such favourites as Gloria, Zoom and Speedoo, the song that took its narrative – "Well now they often call
me Speedo / But my real name is Mr Earl" – from Carroll's own personality.

His nickname – at first "Speedy" and then "Speedo", but confusingly misspelled as "Speedoo" when it appeared on the label of
a record – was bestowed ironically during his adolescence in Harlem, when he and three schoolfriends formed a group called
the Carnations. Street-corner vocal groups were growing in popularity, with competitions between rivals at local dances and
each outfit striving to establish its originality. It was at a talent show in 1953 that the Carnations were spotted by Lover
Patterson, the manager of the successful Five Crowns, who brought their potential to the attention of Esther Navarro, a
secretary at the powerful Shaw Artists booking agency.

Carroll, the lead singer, and Bobby Phillips, the bass vocalist, decided to leave the Carnations and add two more members to
form a new group under Navarro's management. After much discussion concerning a name, one of the group spotted a pink
Cadillac driving by, and the decision was made. Navarro wrote to General Motors to receive permission and the name appeared
on the group's first release on the Josie label in 1954.

I Wonder Why was the original A-side, but disc-jockeys preferred the flipside, a ballad titled Gloria, based on an old song but
heavily restyled by Navarro. Teenagers responded immediately to Carroll's mournful vocal, with its a capella opening followed
by a lovestruck lyric: "It's not Marie, it's Gloria / It's not Sheree, it's Gloria / But she's not in love with me ..." The song went
to No 3 in Billboard's rhythm and blues charts and made the national pop top 40, and the group appeared on that year's
Christmas show fronted by the disc jockey Alan Freed at the Brooklyn Paramount, with Count Basie and LaVern Baker.

Gloria demonstrated Carroll's ability to slip in and out of the falsetto register, and his command of a striking but not
overemphatic vibrato. The Cadillacs also had two other important assets: their slick stage uniforms and their synchronised
choreography, developed under the supervision of the great Harlem choreographer Cholly Atkins, who had already groomed
the stage movements of Sonny Til and the Orioles and would go on to devise the spectacular stage presentations of Gladys
Knight and the Pips, the Miracles and the Temptations.

None of the Cadillacs' follow-up hits – including snappy up-tempo numbers such as Zoom and Speedoo – matched the chart
success of Gloria, but they performed the novelty songs Please Mr Johnson and Jay Walker in Go Johnny Go! (1959), a
rock'n'roll exploitation flick featuring Chuck Berry, Eddie Cochran, Richie Valens and Jackie Wilson, and fronted by Freed,
whose career was soon to be destroyed by the payola scandal.

According to Dion DiMucci, a later graduate of the street-corner vocal scene, Gloria became a test piece for young groups, and
it remains a classic of the genre. But although many others attempted to capitalise on their success with a car name – the
Lincolns, the Edsels, the Corvairs, the Fleetwoods and the El Dorados among them – the Cadillacs split asunder in 1956, with
more than one group claiming the right to use the name. They reunited in 1958 with a single titled Speedo Is Back, but
despite further recordings the group was effectively defunct by 1960, and the following year Carroll joined the Coasters.
Replacing Cornell Gunter alongside the original members Carl Gardner and Billy Guy, he sang on the minor hits (Ain't That)
Just Like Me and DW Washburn, and stayed with the group until 1979.

He left them when he and Phillips re-formed the Cadillacs as the result of a request to appear in a TV commercial for Subaru
cars. They re-emerged on the oldies circuit, with Carroll as their polished and engaging frontman, and made many concert and
television appearances. In 1982, he also took a job as a superintendent at the William T Sherman school in Manhattan, where
he had gone to take adult literacy classes in order to overcome a reading disability. Generations of the school's pupils knew
the man with the mop and bucket as "Speedo".

His wife Carol died in 2010; he is survived by a son, Earl Jr, a daughter, Kimmie, and three grandchildren.

• Earl Carroll, singer, born 2 November 1937; died 25 November 2012

Source : HERE

R.I.P. : Earl Carroll passed away Sans_t11

https://www.facebook.com/birdie.rockin
Revenir en haut Aller en bas
BIRDY
ADMINISTRATRICE
ADMINISTRATRICE
BIRDY

Féminin

MessageSujet: Re: R.I.P. : Earl Carroll passed away   R.I.P. : Earl Carroll passed away EmptyLun 03 Déc 2012, 11:06

jivers
Méga Rockin
Méga Rockin
jivers

emploi : Formateur secouriste/BNSSA
Loisirs : pratique le sauvetage nautiqueet la monoplame

MessageSujet: Re: R.I.P. : Earl Carroll passed away   R.I.P. : Earl Carroll passed away EmptyMar 04 Déc 2012, 23:09

Bonsoir

Merci Birdie pour l'info Sad

Jivers laaaa
jivers
Méga Rockin
Méga Rockin
jivers

emploi : Formateur secouriste/BNSSA
Loisirs : pratique le sauvetage nautiqueet la monoplame

MessageSujet: Re: R.I.P. : Earl Carroll passed away   R.I.P. : Earl Carroll passed away EmptyMar 04 Déc 2012, 23:12

Jivers
BIRDY
ADMINISTRATRICE
ADMINISTRATRICE
BIRDY

Féminin

MessageSujet: Re: R.I.P. : Earl Carroll passed away   R.I.P. : Earl Carroll passed away EmptyMer 05 Déc 2012, 08:59

Ah Jivers, je savais que cela allait te toucher !! Bisous

Contenu sponsorisé

MessageSujet: Re: R.I.P. : Earl Carroll passed away   R.I.P. : Earl Carroll passed away Empty

R.I.P. : Earl Carroll passed away
Page 1 sur 1