FORUM ROCK CITY BOOGIE
Vous souhaitez réagir à ce message ? Créez un compte en quelques clics ou connectez-vous pour continuer.

FORUM ROCK CITY BOOGIE

FORUM Rock'n'roll 50's, Rockabilly, Hillbilly... Clothes, Cars, Flyers, all Forties and Fifties

AccueilPortailRechercherDernières imagesS'enregistrerConnexion
-39%
Le deal à ne pas rater :
Ordinateur portable ASUS Chromebook Vibe CX34 Flip
399 € 649 €
Voir le deal

Phillip Walker R.I.P. - 1937-2010

AuteurMessage
BIRDY
ADMINISTRATRICE
ADMINISTRATRICE
BIRDY

Féminin
Date de naissance : 05/12/1964
emploi : Forumeuse

Phillip Walker R.I.P. - 1937-2010 Empty
MessageSujet: Phillip Walker R.I.P. - 1937-2010   Phillip Walker R.I.P. - 1937-2010 EmptyMar 27 Juil 2010, 22:12

From Delta Groove Music:

Phillip Walker R.I.P. - 1937-2010 PhillipWalker_lg

"It is with deepest sorrow that we report on the sudden and unexpected passing of legendary
blues guitarist Phillip Walker. He died of apparent heart failure at 4:30 AM, early Thursday
morning, July 22, 2010. He was 73 years old.

Born February 11, 1937 near Lake Charles, Louisiana, in the small town of Welsh,
Phillip Walker's earliest musical influences came via the Cajun and Creole rhythms he heard
as a youngster. A second cousin to Clarence "Gatemouth" Brown and huge admirer
of T-Bone Walker, Phillip began making a name for himself in the early 1950s with his first
recording session backing pianist Roscoe Gordon. At the age of 16, Walker left home to tour
with Zydeco king Clifton Chenier (who incidentally gave the young fledgling Walker his first bona
fide guitar) and never looked back.

After relocating to Los Angeles in 1959, Walker cut his first side as a bandleader; the storming
"Hello My Darling", produced by J.R. Fulbright for Elko Records. His first full length album didn't
appear until much later though. With the help of long-time supporter and producer Bruce
Bromberg, Walker cut the excellent LP The Bottom of the Top in 1973 for Hugh Hefner's
short-lived Playboy label. Over the next three decades Walker's musical career continued to
pick up steam with numerous recording projects for HighTone, Black Top, Rounder, JSP and
Alligator Records.

In 2007, Randy Chortkoff signed Phillip Walker to Delta Groove Music and released the
critically acclaimed CD Going Back Home. The recording session featured the renowned guitarist
going back to his roots and exploring the rich musical history of Louisiana, Texas and West Coast
Blues on classic material by Lowell Fulson, Ray Charles, Lonesome Sundown, Lightnin' Hopkins,
Champion Jack Dupree and Frankie Lee Sims among others. Going Back Home was later
awarded Best Album of 2007 in the New Recordings / Contemporary Blues category by the
Living Blues Awards Critics' Poll.

Label CEO Randy Chortkoff shared some of his fond remembrances of working with Phillip these
last few years by stating "Phillip was a consummate gentleman and it was an absolute pleasure
working with him over the years. It was a pleasure producing his last album Going Back Home.
We chose the music on that album based on Phillip's musical tastes and background.
He especially enjoyed doing the Champion Jack Dupree song "Bad Blood". It later became a
standard in his live repertoire, in addition to one I wrote for him, "Lay You Down". We also had
a great time with him years ago at the Moulin Blues Festival in Holland where he performed with
The Mannish Boys, and the again at Ground Zero in Clarksdale, Mississippi for our 3rd Annual
Delta Groove All-Star Blues Revue. There's some great footage of him playing at Ground Zero that
we hope to one day put out and share with everyone. He was definitely a one of a kind.
He will be missed.""

http://www.phillipwalker.com/

[Published on: 7/22/10]

Source : HERE
Revenir en haut Aller en bas

Page 1 sur 1